Nowadays, platform companies can be found in all type of industries, from the automotive and logistics to retail and travel industry. In particular, in the B2C context, many platform companies have disrupted established industries and have become more successful than the traditional, product-focused companies in the respective industry. Most prominent examples are Apple, Amazon, Facebook or Microsoft dominating the list of most valuable companies.
At the same time, many (traditional) companies struggle to compete in the Platform Economy, e.g. to build an own platform or to become part of an existing platform. Nevertheless, the potential for platform business is still quite significant in many industries and domains, for instance in B2B, as Geoffrey G Parker highlighted: “What we’re likely to see on B2B platforms is smaller numbers, but the transactions that they’re likely to do will be much more valuable.”
Scope of the thesis:
Your task would be to build upon our current research efforts to develop a systematic framework for identifying platform business opportunties. As part of this, business models of leading platform companies across domains should be identified, analysed and clustered.
- Strong interest in case-based research
- Strong interest in technology and strategy topics at the interface of theory and practice
- Organized, conscientious and result-oriented working attitude
- Very good communication and writing skills in English
- Ambition to finish end of summer 2021
We offer at the Bosch IoT Lab (ITEM):
- Qualitative research with a high practical relevance and impact
- Working at the intersection of business and technology
- Close involvement in our current research projects
- Methodological support
- A young, dynamic and interdisciplinary team
Whom to contact?
If you find the topic interesting, please do not hesitate to contact Sven Jung (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please attach a motiviation, your CV and current grade transcript to your e-mail.