Platform companies like Apple, Amazon, and Google dominate our economy. And indeed, successful platforms can be found in all industries, with healthcare being no exception. Many exciting healthcare platforms such as WeDoctor, PatientsLikeMe, AliveCor, and Sharecare have already emerged and there is little doubt among experts that platforms will fundamentally transform the healthcare sector. Compared to platforms in other industries, however, healthcare platforms are both more fragmented and more complex.
Are you eager to investigate how platforms will shape the future of health? Are you keen on developing managerial concepts on how companies can create successful platform business in the healthcare sector? Do you want to work at the intersection between theory and practice? We are looking for you!
What we offer:
- Unique possibility to investigate the managerial implications of healthcare platform business models while advancing your scientific as well as entrepreneurial skills
- A highly motivated, interdisciplinary team of young researchers in a very pleasant atmosphere
- Direct project responsibility and close relationships with our research partners, e.g., Bosch, startups, and renowned universities
- Good conditions and work environment and the normal duration for successfully obtaining a PhD in our team is 3 1/2 years
- Strong interest in platforms, technology-based innovation, and the healthcare sector
- A business and/or technology background, e.g., in management, economics, information systems, computer science, or engineering
- Strong analytical skills, and motivation to investigate state-of-the-art research and concepts
- Master’s degree with a GPA (Grade Point Average) of at least 5.0 (GPA of 2.0 and better in Germany or Austria) to be eligible for a PhD at the University of St. Gallen
- Profound knowledge of German and English (written/oral)
The Bosch IoT Lab (Prof. Dr. Felix Wortmann) is a cooperation between the University of St. Gallen, ETH Zurich, and the Bosch Group. We investigate platform business models, business models in the realm of the Internet of Things (IoT) and explore disruptive IoT products and services.