Heat pumps play a significant role in the energy transition by extracting renewable energy from the air or ground. As of today, they are rapidly replacing fossil heating systems in buildings. However, in use, heat pumps often consume significantly more electricity than needed. Incorrect planning, installation, configuration, and operation can lead to dramatic inefficiencies that often go unnoticed.
In light of these challenges, we are looking for a personality with a strong will to create a meaningful impact. Are you eager to investigate how connected heat pump data can be leveraged to identify heat pump problems and optimization opportunities? Are you keen on developing analytics- and ML-based systems that constantly monitor heat pumps to ensure their efficient operation? We are looking for you!
What we offer:
- Unique possibility to advance your scientific as well as entrepreneurial, management skills
- A highly motivated, interdisciplinary team of young researchers in a very pleasant atmosphere
- Direct project responsibility and close relationships with our research partners, e.g., Bosch, startups, and renowned universities
- Good conditions and work environment and the normal duration for successfully obtaining a PhD in our team is 3 1/2 years
- Strong interest in analytics, machine learning, software development, sustainability, and energy
- A technology, energy, or business background, e.g., in information systems, computer science, engineering, management, economics, or energy
- Prior experience in applied research projects, startups, as well as prior work experience in the energy or software industry is advantageous
- Self-confident appearance and high conceptual and communication skills, especially regarding presenting research results to a broad and interdisciplinary audience
- Master’s degree with a GPA (Grade Point Average) of at least 5.0 (GPA of 2.0 and better in Germany or Austria) to be eligible for a PhD at the University of St. Gallen/ETH Zurich
- Profound knowledge (written/oral) in German and English