Learning that is based on or supported by online platforms has become commonplace around the globe, particularly accelerated through the COVID-19 pandemic. Thereby, current learning platforms generate vast amounts of data for functional, technical, and legal reasons. These insights can serve to automatically intervene in the learning process by setting learning goals, monitoring progress, selecting learning strategies, and adjusting behavior in order to ultimately improve learning outcomes.
Considering these developments, we are looking for a personality with a strong will to create a meaningful impact. Are you eager to investigate how analytics and AI can be used to analyze data from students' interactions with learning materials and activities to gather insights into their learning strategies, strengths, and weaknesses? Are you keen on using analytics and explainable ML to deploy adaptive learning systems that can provide personalized feedback and guidance to students, helping them to set and achieve their learning goals? We are looking for you!
What we offer:
- Unique possibility to advance your scientific as well as entrepreneurial, management skills
- A highly motivated, interdisciplinary team of young researchers in a very pleasant atmosphere
- Direct project responsibility, exposure in teaching, and close relationships with our research partners, e.g., international corporates, startups, and renowned universities
- Good conditions and work environment and the normal duration for successfully obtaining a PhD in our team is 3 1/2 years
- Strong interest in analytics, machine learning, technology-based innovation, entrepreneurship, the future of education, and teaching
- A technology, business, or education background, e.g., in information systems, computer science, engineering, management, or economics
- Prior experience in applied research projects, startups, as well as prior work experience in the education industry is advantageous
- Self-confident appearance and high conceptual and communication skills, especially regarding presenting research results to a broad and interdisciplinary audience
- Master’s degree with a GPA (Grade Point Average) of at least 5.0 (GPA of 2.0 and better in Germany or Austria) to be eligible for a PhD at the University of St. Gallen
- Profound knowledge (written/oral) in German and English